Monday, September 4, 2017

Poop Coffee

I have a word of advice, especially if you're a regular coffee drinker and especially if you like a pretty good cup (you know, like you're not in the habit of stopping by gas stations to buy a cheap cup of the dirty brown stuff. Maybe there's even a certain bean you prefer, like say a good rich Guatemalan bean).

Last week in an attempt to pinch pennies (for real though, almost nothing has changed here in the past few months) I picked up a cheap can of coffee. I won't name names. Great idea, right? No! For the past week I've been drinking coffee that smells like poop or at least very close to it. Okay, it's not that bad but seriously it's gross. I'm not in the habit of doctoring up my coffee. I mean I usually drink it black or with a teaspoon of sugar. But black coffee that smells like poop doesn't taste much better and it wasn't worth the $3 I saved. And yes I keep drinking it because I paid for it. Bleck! If you're thinking it might be rotten or something, it's not. It's just cheap and I can't bring myself to purchase creamer to help hide the flavor because that would counteract the whole "saving money" thing.

So, my advice: Brew at home. That saves a lot but don't try and pinch pennies buying cheap grounds or you might pay for it.

(Yeah, this isn't really an advice column. I just wanted a "constructive" way to complain about my poop coffee)
Signing off.

14 comments:

  1. I've got the problem solved--I don't drink coffee at all, ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like it though... I mean when it doesn't taste like...

      Delete
  2. I've definitely had some questionable coffee when traveling abroad. I usually allow myself to have cream & sugar (although, I'm not paying for it, so it's less of a frugal effort vs a calorie saver). Bad coffee is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like cream and sugar and I'll definitely use it if it's free :) but I also like my morning coffee black, well when it doesn't taste and smell horrendous.

      Delete
  3. Coffee has to be good. Like you I'm for black, no sugar. I used to tell my parishioners that I drink my coffee naked. Terrible image but work it out. Funnily enough they always remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! love it
      I'm not going to "save money" on coffee grounds next time the thought crosses my mind, that's for sure!

      Delete
  4. We have had some similar coffee adventures! We also did not want to throw it out, so we bought some "better" coffee and mixed the two together to not waste the "bad" stuff. It was manageable. Then we got the kind we should've gotten in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to seriously just power through but you and Anne are genius. I'm totally going to mix this gross stuff in with some good grounds soon. thanks!

      Delete
  5. I am laughing because I have also bought bargain coffee before and it is just not worth it. I finally mixed it in a 1 to 3 ratio with "real" coffee and it worked fine, so I use the bargain stuff without having to taste it, but I will never buy it again either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now going to take advantage of your genius! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Yeah sometimes you get what you pay for. It is like buying a flat soda..... yuck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, like flat soda that you get at a really nice sit down dinner. The ice cold cup looks so wonderfully refreshing and you take that first anticipated sip (which is always very anticipated for me because I don't drink much pop) and then, AWFUL! It's just like that!

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you are back - I missed your sense of humor :) I don't like any coffee so it all tastes like poop to me (I do have a Diet Coke with Lime addition however....) but my husband is a coffee SNOB - he likes the Kona blend from Trader Joe's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm a coffee snob too. It was pretty stupid of me to think I could handle cheap grounds. Lesson learned... I hope :)
      I'm glad to be back too. I missed you!

      Delete